Guess what. It’s Taco Tuesday! Everyone’s favorite dinner for Tuesdays because it has a catchy name and is insanely delicious. What a coincidence. Today’s recipe is insanely delicious also!
I’ve been trying to lay off of the carbs a bit lately because they simply aren’t always necessary to have. For this reason, I decided to make “tacos” without tortillas. Before you break into tears for fear of not having a tortilla, just remember how AMAZING avocados are. Seriously. The smooth, creamy flavor of an avocado pairs perfectly with the saltiness of taco meat. Throw some tomatoes and cheese on top and you won’t even think about missing the tortillas.
Another quick change I made from the traditional taco is that I used ground turkey instead of ground beef. Same texture and a slightly different flavor, but a leaner and healthier meat. Trust me, it is so good and makes you feel like you’re treating your body well. All of the yummy flavors with none of the guilt. Are you getting excited?! You should be. PLUS, it is unbelievably fast to make.
Firstly, I would go ahead and prepare my avocados and tomatoes. The meat will be done so quickly that you don’t want that to go cold while you try and slice up the add-ons. Grab your large hass avocados and slice each of them in half, vertically. Grab a knife or spoon and make the hole in the center of the avocado larger. After all, don’t we want to make room for extra meat? I know I do! I ended up taking out probably 1- 1 1/2 Tablespoons worth of each avocado half, as seen below.
Go ahead and grab one of your tomatoes. I used one of those “tomatoes on a vine” so it is a decent size, but not enormous. Dice it up to place on top of the finished stuffed avocados.
You will cook your pound of ground turkey over medium heat on the stove. Make sure to break up the meat as best as you can, in order to make the texture more similar to that of ground beef. Feel free to drain any fat that you see in the pan after cooking it. With the stove still on medium heat, add the 3/4 cup of water and 4 Tablespoons of taco seasoning. I personally used McCormick brand, but use whatever you prefer. The meat and water should be bubbling/lightly boiling, so make sure you stir it occasionally. This will be cooked for around 5 minutes.
Once it’s done, grab your avocado halves. I spooned around 3 heaping Tablespoons of ground turkey meat into each center. Sprinkle on some diced tomato, cheese, and maybe even some of the leftover avocado pieces. That’s it! Super easy, right? This recipe can make up to 6 servings if you only eat one avocado half.
Tell me, what is your favorite taco? Have a great rest of your day and Taco Tuesday it up tonight!
Ground Turkey Stuffed Avocados
Servings: 3-6 Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 3 large hass avocados
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 tomato, diced*
- cheddar cheese blend, sprinkled on as desired
* I used a tomato on the vine, not a large greenhouse tomato
- Grab your tomato and dice it. Set aside.
- Slice each large hass avocado in half, vertically. Grab a knife or spoon and remove 1- 1 1/2 Tablespoons more from the center area. Set the extra aside. (See image above for example)
- Over medium heat, cook ground turkey until completely cooked. Make sure to break it apart thoroughly. Drain any fat that may be present.
- With heat still on medium, add the water and taco seasoning. Stir it together. Mixture should be bubbling/gently boiling. This will cook for 5 minutes, with you stirring occasionally.
- Once meat is done, scoop around 3 heaping Tablespoons into the center of each avocado. Garnish with diced tomatoes, cheese, and some remaining pieces of avocado. Enjoy!